Tuesday, September 29, 2015

The Big City

(I posted some more pictures on the previous Alhambra post)

As much as I enjoy the smaller towns, I think I prefer the big cities. I like the hustle and bustle, the activity of crowds. For example, when we arrived at our hotel in Madrid in the square below our window was a big event, the Madrid Triathlon.



The night picture is of the crowd for the triathlon, the day shot is just regular traffic. This is the Puerta del Sol Square and is called the center of the city. It is just busy almost 24/7. The day after the race there was a demonstration for "One Espania." The Catalonia region had forced a vote on separating from Spain and it passed by about 85% but was a non-binding vote so now they expect some formal discussion about it.

Lots of noise and people and a slice of the culture here. In the little towns it's mostly tourists. Here it's a mix but we walked through the square a few blocks away and it was like we were in a small town again. Quiet and comfy cafeteria with reasonable prices. You can find quiet areas in even the largest city. Yet things work so much better. WiFi is faster, public transportation is better, shops stay open, and there are just more choices.

Yesterday, Monday, I finally caught the girls' cold. But mine is worse than theirs! We decided to go see the Palacio Real of Madrid (Spain's national palace home of King Felipe and Queen Letizia) and it was amazing.




We took advantage of our age and got in for half price but the gift shop had the last laugh. I've never seen anyone shop as much as Alice! And damn if it didn't rub off on Belinda! I don't think I'll invite Alice again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment