Friday, September 25, 2015

New Rules

No more one night stands ! I mean in hotels.......traveling. I'm so confused. AND be careful at out of country ATM's. Even at bank ATM's, which is the only kind I will use, they will offer to "convert" to USD. You do NOT want to do that. There are hidden fees and you never know what those are.... They're hidden! Check out "transferwise.com" or just search for "conversion at foreign ATM". We didn't get taken because the message came up about converting or not which confused me, duh. So I tried another and got a similar message, which made me question what that was because I hadn't seen it before. Thank goodness for mobile data. Did the search and bingo. Next ATM we knew what to say (no) and got out money at a decent exchange..... I think. We'll see when we get home.

We left Toledo yesterday about 8am, changed trains in Madrid and spent about 4 hours in Cordoba. Then on to Sevilla, or was it the other way around? No, we are at the Sevilla Santa Justa train station so we must be in Sevilla, my favorite city in Spain. We arrived about 5pm and made one of the best decisions we've made on the fly, we took a taxi. $14 later after a convoluted ride through the old city we got to the absolute bestest hotel ever, the Hotel Amadeus.

OMG, this was fabulous. Not just because of our AirBnB experience. Clean, comfortable, effing AWESOME! Using Immanuel Kant's definition, it was " sublime". (That was for you Misenga) Little alcove sitting areas here and there all with pitchers of tea, orange liqueur, ice and glasses. And musical instruments all over the wall. I can't begin to describe it but it made the girls very happy. Just ask them.





We all took showers and Alice and I washed some clothes. Separately. I would wash mine in the sink, them rinse them out as I took my shower. Seemed to work ok. We had a little outdoor patio so we could hang our clothes to dry, which most did, or close enough.

We went out for a little walk to find something to eat. The girls were still feeling bad. We walked through a nice little park and found a little corner cafe and had a Spanish tortilla and a tuna and tomatoe salad. We were lost but I finally figured out how to use the GPS on the phone for walking directions. You tap the walking guy. I'm sure that's a recent update.




By the time we got back it was bed time for Alice but I wanted to go get a coffee and pastry so Belinda and I headed back out with our new GPS knowledge. We got lost again, on purpose, got money out of the ATM mentioned earlier, and found our way back to the best room in the world about 11pm.
*********
Sept. 24
Thursday we had breakfast on the hotel rooftop patio. Deeelightful. Then we had to leave the best room in the world for a 1:08 pm train (you like the am/pm better?)  What a bumpy ride! I didn't think a train could bounce around like that and stay on the track. We headed towards Ronda at the suggestion of Alice's daughter Angel. I was apprehensive because I hadn't read anything about Ronda and didn't know what to expect. Plus the train seemed to be taking us out in the boonies. She also recommended the Hotel San Gabriel. After the best room in the world in Seville, I was more than apprehensive. But thank you Angel. Ronda was worth bouncing around for and, while not quite the best room in the world, the hotel room is a close second. We checked in and hung up our still damp clothes and then went to find some tapas.





Alice and I had scrambled eggs with ham and mushrooms and Belinda had chicken stuffed with spinach. We meandered back to our room and checked out the map of the local area and headed out again. We stopped at a few shops where I looked for a sticker of the area that I can affix to my carry on to impress airline baggage handlers. I didn't decide to do this until Beaune so I'm missing Amsterdam, Brugge, Berlin and Prague. I'm sure I can get those on Amazon. I just won't tell anyone.

We got to the "new" Bridge built in the 18th century. What a view. The train had come in from the lowlands and I did not realize we were up on a cliff. A scary cliff. The kind that give your feet a tingling feeling when you look over the edge. We walked a little more and the girls got some ice cream to help their throats feel better, I'm looking for coffee and a pastry. We all found what we were looking for and since it was getting dark we headed back. We were all tired and hit the sack early.

No comments:

Post a Comment