Thursday, September 17, 2015

Berlin to Prague

Wednesday morning we caught the 1045 train to Prague and got here about 1545. When we were waiting at the Berlin station all the ICE trains (inter-city express) were modern, sleek machines. So excited, especially since we were in first class! Then along comes our train. Without a doubt the oldest train we've been on! First class was the last car. The only difference was we weren't in a compartment.

My exciting traveling companions. 

I had more of a conversation with the young Korean girl sitting next to me who couldn't speak English. 

We're used to free beverages and attendants. Not on this train. But we did get a free bottle of water as we pulled into the Prague station! We were met at the station by our driver and taken to our pension in the center of old town. We are just a few blocks from the Charles Bridge, which is one of the reasons people come to Prague, I guess. Our room is nice with three separate beds. Apparently Alice called ahead.

The view from my bed-

We headed out for a short walk and boy was it. Around the corner from our room was a church where a Vivaldi concert was about to begin so we got tickets and went in.
The string quartet was excellent but for some reason they thought throwing in some gawd awful pipe organ music was something we wanted. It wasn't. I kept expecting Bela Lugosi or Vincent Price to jump out from behind the alter. But it was worth the $20 each. Since tipping is discouraged here I figured I'd make it up at the next meal.

We had a nice dinner, but I think the girls had a little too much wine. They kept rocking like they were still on the train and then stumbled around outside on the sidewalk and blamed it on the cobblestone. In Alice's case I think she just wasn't used to having a man walk that near.

We headed out onto the Charles Bridge and holy smoly it was crowded.

We thought it would be an early night but it's 2330 now and we're pretty exhausted. I'm so tired I'm not even laughing at me.

No comments:

Post a Comment